How To: Sky+ HD Amstrad DRX890 / DRX895 Hard Drive Upgrade

Tutorials and guides relating to ExPVR or Sky+ boxes
mrmt32
Site Admin

How To: Sky+ HD Amstrad DRX890 / DRX895 Hard Drive Upgrade

Postby mrmt32 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 am

The DRX890 and 895 are the newest Sky+ HD boxes, and are made by Sky (Sky now own Amstrad). The 895 comes with a 1.5TB hard disk (1TB of user space / 500gb Anytime), and the 890 comes with a 500GB.

Both boxes are very similar, and can be upgraded to a maximum of 2TB. Unfortunately there are the hardest boxes to upgrade, as they are quite compact, and quite a few parts must be removed to get at the hard disk.

Step 1: Removing the outer case
First flip the box upside down and remove the following screws:
step1-1.jpg

The sides of the box can now be uncliped by lifting the plastic catch shown below, and pulling them towards the back of the box. They are then removed by pulling them away from the box (you may need to gently move them around a bit to free them).
step1-2.jpg

The plastic casing can then be removed by lifting the clip shown, and pulling the metal body towards the rear of the box followed by lifting it up out of the casing.
step1-3.jpg

Step 2: Removing the top
Firstly the circuit on the top of the case must be removed. This involves twisting some small metal prongs (there are many of these to come unfortunately!), so that they are flat, allowing the board to be freed. This can be done quite easily with some pliers.
step2-1.jpg

step2-2.jpg

Once the board has been lifted off, the top case can be removed. This involves a bit more twisting of small bits of metal (ignore the fact that the circuit is still attached in my picture):
step2-3.jpg

The case lifts up from the front of the box.

At this point, the connections to the hard disk are accessible, but the hard disk is still buried under various components. If all you want to do is copy items off the current hard disk, it is possible to plug the hard disk into your computer without removing it from the sky box. The only thing to watch out for is that the connections to the hard disk have clips which have to be released before unplugging. The release buttons are on the bottom of the power and sata plugs.
pc-connection.jpg

If you want to replace the hard disk, then there are quite a few more steps!

Step 3: Removing the back panel
Spin the box around so that the rear connectors are facing you. All of the screws on this panel, including the bolts on the dish connectors and the serial port must be removed:
step3-1.jpg

step3-2.jpg

step3-3.jpg

There are then clips on either side of the box which must be released:
step3-4.jpg

And some on the bottom:
step3-5.jpg

And finally it can be removed!
step3-6.jpg

Step 4: Removing the Motherboard
Firstly, unplug the fan connector and the hard drive cables (they held on by clips which can be released by pressing the button on the bottom of the connector):
step4-1.jpg

Also unplug the cables connected near the viewing card slot (the smaller connectors can be quite tricky to unplug, so you may want to try and keep the cables connected and carefully put the motherboard off to the side):
step4-2.jpg

The mainboard can now be unscrewed and carefully pulled off (there is a large connector on one side of it, connecting it to the other circuitry):
step4-3.jpg

Step 5: Removing the Front Panel
Nearly there! The screws holding one of the sides of the hard drive to the case are unfortunately behind the front panel, so this must be removed. There are some more metal twists, as well as two plastic clips behind the top left section and some different plastic clips to the right of the light spinner:
step5-1.jpg

Step 6: Removing the Hard Disk
The screws holding the hard disk to the box are now finally visible:
step6-1.jpg

There are some more screws on the other side of the hard disk:
step6-2.jpg

And the hard disk can then be removed!
step6-3.jpg

The old hard disk can now be copied to the new one using ExPVR (http://www.ph-mb.com/support/ExPVR/help/planner-loading) and replaced in the box by following these instructions in reverse. You may want to test the box is working before completely re-assembling it (of course the motherboard and connectors must be reattached first).

saintalan

Re: Sky+ HD Amstrad DRX890 / DRX895 Hard Drive Upgrade

Postby saintalan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 am

Hi thanks for this.

Coincidentally I started (slowly) to do mine yesterday following a similar tutorial on another site. There are a couple of comments there to the effect that it is not necessary to remove the back panel as just removing the LNB nuts, HDMI connector screw and RS232 port pillars and then remove the drive and bracket in one unit.

This is where I got up to last night so will have another go later.

Of course the models may have slightly changed since, do you have any thoughts?

Cheers

Alan

mrmt32
Site Admin

Re: Sky+ HD Amstrad DRX890 / DRX895 Hard Drive Upgrade

Postby mrmt32 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:23 am

I must admit, I didn't think of trying to remove the top motherboard without taking out the back plate. It may be possible (just lift it up from the back after unscrewing it), it depends if you are able to move it enough to get it unplugged from the large connector (without bending any of the pins!).

AMCross

Re: How To: Sky+ HD Amstrad DRX890 / DRX895 Hard Drive Upgra

Postby AMCross » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:15 am

i see in the picture a western digital 2tb hard drive

can you successfully use an advanced format drive in a sky hd box ?

AndyS_99

Postby AndyS_99 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Removing the fan (2 screws) gives some additional room to manoeuvre the top motherboard without having to remove the backplate.

Andy

airbusA346

Postby airbusA346 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:22 am

Any suggestions on how to get the plastic cover back on the DRX895 properly.

This is what my cover looks like at the moment:

Image]

That is clicked in at the front/underneath, but the top buttons don't appeared to be lined up with the switches on the board.

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:05 pm

I do not have a DRX895, only a DRX890 (which has the same metal part but a different plastic cover). The first thing I would check is that the metal top casing is on properly and not blocking the outer enclosure from being fully pushed on. Also check that the little clips on the sides are properly pushed into the metal case (if it is the same as the DRX890 then the plastic case has L shaped clips on the inside of the sides which slide into slots in the metal). It does look like the metal inner case is sticking out further than it should.

willo77

Postby willo77 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:21 pm

I am thinking about getting a 2tb box and was looking into putting all the contents off my old sky+hd drx890 onto it, and also my old white sky+ which I had before I upgraded to the hd box. Just wondered if you can mix the old planner on the sky+ with the sky+hd onto the new 2tb box? I know I will void my warranty with me opening it but I want to try it anyway if its possible to do so.

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Yes that is possible, you will need to either connect both the Sky+ and DRX890 disks at the same time and copy to the 2TB, or copy one / both to an image on your PC and copy from them to the 2TB. More than one disk / image can be selected at a time in the left hand pane, allowing you to select recordings from both disks to copy over.

The old planner format of the Sky+ disk will be converted before being merged with the planner from the DRX890 as part of the copy process.

willo77

Postby willo77 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:26 pm

thanks mrmt32, I have just received my 2tb box and have taken the hdd out of my old sky+hd drx890, I realised that its a thinner hdd than I had in my old white sky+ box though. As I had upgraded that with a 500gb hdd a few years back and used a 3.5" hdd external caddy but obviously the hdd from the drx890 wont work with that caddy.

I've seen some people mention a usb3 to sata 2.5" hdd adapter converter on here, is this the right thing to buy to be able to transfer from it to my pc? Hope you can help and sorry for bugging you but when I did a transfer before with the old sky+ box and using copy+ it was easy to get hdd out and to transfer, seems a lot harder now!
thanks

Return to “Tutorials”