ExPVR Version 2 Beta

Announcements about ExPVR, the Sky+ HD and XTV recording extractor.
mrmt32
Site Admin

ExPVR Version 2 Beta

Postby mrmt32 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:40 pm

You can find a beta version of ExPVR 2.0 attached to this post. This version includes the new "Format and Copy Wizard" which allows the formatting of hard drives for use in Sky+ HD boxes and lets you copy recordings to the new drive. There are also various bug fixes for the planner viewer and recording extractor, including a complete rewrite of the Fat32 code.

Note that the Format and Copy Wizard does not require you to purchase ExPVR, this feature is included in the free version.

If you decide to try out this version you will need to look out for a few things:

Failed Recordings
After the copy completes you may notice some recordings are marked as "FAILED" in your Sky+ planner. If these where recordings you chose not to copy then this is normal (in this beta release the entries in the database of the deleted recordings are not removed and the sky box is just telling you that the recordings no longer exist). These entries can be safely deleted.

If some of the recordings which you chose to copy over are marked as "FAILED" then something went wrong!

Misalignment
The location of the video files on the disk is calculated using an equation reverse engineered from looking at many hard drive images created by the sky box. There is a very slight possibility that this may not be correct for some conditions causing some weird behaviour (the over 1TB bug in Copy+ was caused by this).

Unfortunately this can be tricky to test for, what you are looking for is new recordings overwriting old ones. This will manifest as either:

* Old recordings having parts of new recordings in them at random locations
* Old recordings giving a blue screen on playback

Version 2.0.3 includes a diagnostics tool which can detect this corruption (as well as generate a small zip file with a large amount of information about your drives structure). In order to check for corruption:

* Copy your drive using ExPVR
* Connect the drive to your Sky+ HD box and make a single recording (it does not need to be long, a minute will be enough).
* Reconnect the drive to your computer and run the diagnostics tool, if there is any miss-alignment a message will be shown.

Disk size limit
All disks up to 2TB (a fundamental limitation of MBR, which Sky+ HD uses) should work in boxes with Darwin installed.

If you use this please post the details of your Sky+ HD box and what hard drive you used in this thread along with any problems you encounter. If it does not work please also attach your log file (can be found in %appdata%\Roaming\pH-Mb\ExPVR).

Change Log
-------------
-------------
Fixed - Diagnostics tool miss-diagnosing miss-alignment for little endian drives
Fixed - Problems with databases containing recordings missing some details

-------------
-------------
Fixed - Saving ulong instead of uint to extent files causing blue screens on recording playback (bug introduced in 2.0.12)
Fixed - Three overlapped recordings with the middle one deleted would cause errors when copying from a copy

-------------
-------------
Fixed - Root directory files now copied as required by DRX780 Planner

-------------
2.0.9 - 2.0.12
-------------
Fixed - Another issue with the new planner database on the DRX780
Fixed - Support for new planner database version present on DRX780 (PCAT V2.1 -> V2.4)
Fixed - The Amstrad DRX780 (the oldest Amstrad HD box) now works correctly (issue with Little Endian).

-------------
-------------
Fixed: Overlapped recording problems (again)
Fixed: Errors displayed in logs for missing XMV/XMA pairs due to vfile garbage collector
Fixed: Unhandled System.NullReferanceException on copy & format drive list for one user
Fixed: Fast encryption detection method is now accurate, this is now used at all times (the configuration option has been removed). This takes about 2 seconds as opposed to the ~30 seconds of the old method!

Changed: Deleted, failed or corrupt recordings no longer show in the planner viewer.
Changed: A few more estimated time left tweaks

-------------
-------------
Fixed: Estimated time remaining now a lot smoother
Fixed: Another problem with overlapped recordings (extents for overlapped recordings failed to generate causing them to blue screen on playback)

Added: Planner viewer now tries to compensate for miss-aligned (from ExPVR's point of view) recordings
Added: Alignment overrides can now be made for reading specific hard drives

Changed: Planner viewer now defaults to using the faster (and less accurate) method of detecting encryption status (the other method was way to slow). This will not override your current setting if you already have ExPVR installed (the setting can be changed in the configuration tool).

-------------
-------------
Fixed: Miss-alignment for some drives due to a rounding error

-------------
-------------
Added - Estimated time left
Added - Miss-alignment detector to diagnostics tool

Fixed - Write performance is now far better (Copies are now 2x faster! On my pc it has gone from ~18-20MB/sec to ~35-40MB/sec)
Fixed - Alignment problems with drives above 1TB
Fixed - Some virtual files not copying correctly (specifically all virtual files in an STR after the first).

-------------
-------------
Added - Diagnostics tool

Also attempted fix for above 1TB issue (only worked with drives at exactly 2TB).

Download: http://www.ph-mb.com/products/ExPVR/downloads
Tested Configurations List: http://wiki.ph-mb.com/wiki/ExPVR_Tested_Devices

ianjames999

Re: ExPVR Version 2 Beta

Postby ianjames999 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:57 pm

I downloaded version 2.03 last night and tried it on my Samsung sky+ HD box.

I copied the old disk to my Windows 7 PC, via a SATA to USB docking station, then copied it back to a new SAM-F31TB Samsung Spin Point F3 SATAII 1TB hard drive.

Everything looks ok on the planner, no old recording showed up and all the series links are in place. But all of the old recording are pixelating whenthey are viewed, not bad just small section of the screen, like a bad reception on a DVB station.

This does not happen with any new recordings.

Any ideas?

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Are all the recordings exhibiting problems either anytime recordings (including ones copied to your personal planner) or a recording which was recorded directly after another on the same channel? I have seen similar problems before with these recordings but that bug should have been fixed in this release.

If it is the same problem you will see a small amount of pixelation every couple of seconds and when fast forwarding/rewinding the screen will seem to "split up" and show different frames at different points. This is due to the offset for where the recording starts in the file being slightly wrong (the pixelation is where the box is trying to decrypt the video using the code word for the previous few frames and failing). I did a test last night for these recordings and I didn't seem to experience this, I will try copying some more now and see if I can reproduce it.

In the mean time could you send me the result of running the diagnostics tool (with your drive connected) to help@ph-mb.com? It should be in your start menu under "ExPVR->Tools->ExPVR Diagnostics Tool". It will generate an ~10MB zip file which contains information about your drives layout.

ianjames999

Postby ianjames999 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:35 pm

The problem occurs on all recordings (anytime or personal), personal recording do not follow each other on the same channel, as most are series linked.

I will run the diagnostics tool now and sent you the results.

ianjames999

Postby ianjames999 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:42 pm

I have emailed the diagnostic dump file

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks for sending that, there doesn't seem to be any obvious errors in the dump you sent. Also, the fact that it is happening for all recordings means it cant be the same bug. One possibility is that my software is getting the position of the video data on the source drive slightly wrong (so is starting to copy the video slightly ahead or behind of where it should be). Would it be possible for you to send a dump of the source drive too? If my theory is correct the tool should also give you a message warning about miss-alignment.

ianjames999

Postby ianjames999 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Yes it looks like you are right, it does give a mis alignment error, I have posted it to you.

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:13 pm

In order to locate the video data on the drive, ExPVR uses a calculation. The result this gives must then be rounded so that it gives the location of the beginning of a cluster (a block of bytes on the disk). So far, all the drives I have seen have rounded to the nearest cluster, yours however seems to round up a cluster. The video files have therefore been copied 1 cluster out of alignment (~33Kb of garbage would have been added to the beginning of each recording and the last ~33Kb wouldn't have been copied). What may be happening is that for drives under 1TB the sky firmware rounds up, and for drives over it rounds to the nearest (this would fit the data I have so far).

I have updated ExPVR to 2.0.4, this build will work for your drive. I have also added the miss-alignment check as part of the copy process, so it will check for any inconsistencies between ExPVR and the source drive (note it won't be able to check the target drive as it requires at least one recording made by the sky box to work). You can download the update at http://www.ph-mb.com/products/ExPVR/downloads.

You will unfortunately need to start the copy process again :( (getting ExPVR to write to a drive with files already on it would be quite a bit of extra work and would probably just introduce more problems), there should hopefully be no problems this time though.

ianjames999

Postby ianjames999 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks I will do a small test today, as there are a lot of recordings scheduled for tonight, If that looks ok I will try a full test again tomorrow, thanks for all your help and speedy replies.

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:34 pm

No problem, thanks for testing it!

Return to “Announcements”