Pre-Darwin to Darwin Copies and Disk Merging

Announcements about ExPVR, the Sky+ HD and XTV recording extractor.
mrmt32
Site Admin

Pre-Darwin to Darwin Copies and Disk Merging

Postby mrmt32 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:43 pm

I now have a Thompson Sky+ HD box (pre-darwin) to test with, so if all goes well, copying from this box (and possibly Sky+ devices) to new HD boxes will soon be possible with ExPVR. I have also written code to support merging recordings from two or more disks onto one. This still needs to be tested but this feature should also be released in the near future!

saintalan

Re: Pre-Darwin to Darwin Copies and Disk Merging

Postby saintalan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Great work!

Will merging work between different systems e.g merge a pre-darwin with a Darwin or would there need to be an interim step?

Cheers

Alan

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:22 am

That wont be a problem, when a pre-darwin drive is loaded ExPVR creates a new darwin-style planner and saves it in a temporary directory. From that point on, there will be no differences from how a darwin disk would be treated. I have just tested copying recordings from two pre-darwin disks and a darwin disk to a new one, and all of the recordings worked fine (I want to do a bit more testing, and clean up some of the code a bit, but there should be a beta release in the next few days!).

Note that it will not be possible to directly copy to an already formatted drive (e.g. 'add' recordings to a drive taken out of a sky box). It will be possible to do this indirectly however by copying recordings from current drive to an image, then 'merging' the image and the other drive back to it. This is mainly because I have only tested most of the code when writing on drives with no fragmentation (e.g. a freshly formatted drive), attempting to write to a drive that has been used would introduce a fair few more complications (and possibility for corruption). Additionally, this way, there will always be a backup in case something went wrong with the merging process.

I have attached a screenshot of the updated UI, showing more than one disk loaded.
Attachments
expvr_merge_ui.PNG

jeallen01

Postby jeallen01 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:27 am

Matt

I am trying to merge the contents of a pre-Darwin Sky+ standard definition box disk and those from the HD box disk from my DRX-890 to a new 2TB disk.

Yesterday (as you know from SkyUser!) I managed to copy all the recordings from the former to the new 2TB disk (and they do play on the HD box), and now I want to merge those from the HD box disk into those now on the 2TB disk - however that does not seem to be a facility in 3.5.4497. (NB: ExPVR Copy can now see both disks).

Now I see from this thread that it would appear that you have to have BOTH source disks connected to the PC at the time you start the copy process, having then first selected all the files on both disks, and then merge them together at the same time onto a completely clean target disk.

Is that actually the case, or is there something else that I can do so that I can add the new files to the existing ones on the Target disk without starting from scratch?

PS - Either way, it would be very helpful if you could post very clear instructions on your forum as to how to do the job as the existing ones are not at all clear (and I have to say, that is unfortunately true of a number of the features in this release - the summary of what the release can do is clear, but how to do each operation is not!)

Thanks in advance.

John

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:12 pm

Unfortunately it is not possible to 'add' to an already formatted disk (if I enabled this, and something went wrong, it could ruin the only copy of someone's recordings!). The method is:

1. Check the disks you want to copy from in the left panel
2. Select the recordings you want (recordings from both disks will now be listed on the right)
3. Copy to a new disk in the same way as before

Sorry if this wasn't made clear, I do plan to add proper documentation before the final release of V3.5. Also, do note that V3.5 is currently a beta version, so there is a possibility that you will experience problems with the new features (I have tested it with Thompson and Samsung Sky+ HD boxes, but it needs to be tested with others).

saintalan

Postby saintalan » Tue May 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi Matt

I am probably going to do some copying to finish up on the original source disk.

What is the best way to clear a disk of partitions etc such that ExPVR will accept it as a destination disk? Can this be done in ExPVR or is it a system function?

Cheers

Alan

jeallen01

Postby jeallen01 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 am

saintalan wrote:Hi Matt

I am probably going to do some copying to finish up on the original source disk.

What is the best way to clear a disk of partitions etc such that ExPVR will accept it as a destination disk? Can this be done in ExPVR or is it a system function?

Cheers

Alan

- In Windows Explorer, select "Computer",
- right-click & select "Manage"
- Select "Disk Management"
- When this has loaded, the right-hand pane will show all the connected disks -
- In my case, internal disk was marked "Disk 0", one of the source disks was marked Disk 1, the second source disk was marked "Disk 3" and both showed "healthy" FAT partitions
- "Disk 2" was the much larger Target disk and also showed that it had a partition - and that is the one you need to delete.
- So, making sure you HAVE selected the Target disk and not one of the others (especially your internal Drive 0 system disk, right-click in the right-hand pane of that disk and choose to remove the partition.
- ExPVR can then see it as a Target after you have selected the one or two Source disks and all the programmes you want to copy.

That's what I did this morning - and the copying process from both Source disks is now going on (and will continue to do so until early tomorrow morning because one of the disks is a much slower IDE drive from a Pace 3100 Sky+ box!)

saintalan

Postby saintalan » Wed May 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks Jeallen, that's what I had planned but I read somewhere that you could not remove the last partition, mind you search results were pretty dated!

Hopefully be doing some work on it tomorrow.

Cheers

Alan

jeallen01

Postby jeallen01 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:49 pm

saintalan wrote:Thanks Jeallen, that's what I had planned but I read somewhere that you could not remove the last partition, mind you search results were pretty dated!

Hopefully be doing some work on it tomorrow.

Cheers

Alan

W7 (and probably VISTA) Disk Manager is a lot more capable than the earlier versions of the OS - about the only possible practical limitation that I think I've met is the inability to substantially resize a disk partition to shrink it, whereas something like Paragon Disk Manager can make much bigger changes.

Regards

John

jeallen01

Postby jeallen01 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:40 am

Merge successfully completed & disk re-attached to the HD box - see SkyUser forum!! :D

Return to “Announcements”