Target Drive Not Listed?

Post here if you have any problems with ExPVR.
mrmt32
Site Admin

Target Drive Not Listed?

Postby mrmt32 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:48 pm

If you find that your target drive is not listed in ExPVR, it is usually due to it still containing some partitions. ExPVR does not list hard drives with partitions present to prevent the accidental over-writing of the wrong hard disk. Partitions can be deleted by doing the following:

1. Open Computer Management (Start -> Right click 'Computer' -> Select 'Manage')
2. Select 'Disk Management' in the left pane (under storage)
3. You should see a list of all your connected disks in the bottom pane, next to your new hard drive you should see a block labelled "Unallocated" (as in the picture below):

disk.PNG

If this instead shows a partition, it must first be deleted. You can do this by right clicking on the partition and selecting "Delete Volume", note that this will delete any data contained on the partition (Make sure you select the correct drive!)

stulloyd

Re: Target Drive Not Listed?

Postby stulloyd » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:23 am

I am upgrading from an old drx280 box to a drx890 and have a 1TB drive to put in. exPVR when opened did not show the drive from the 280 when I opened the program although the drive was visible in 'my computer'

I have read the post above about problems with a partition. Will my old IDE drive in the 280 have a partition and if so, how do I avoid deleting all my planner by mistake?

gilcutler

Postby gilcutler » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm having a similar problem. I am trying to use a 1.5TB disc that I have reformatted. It shows up in Disk Management as a single partition and "Healthy (Primary Partition)", but when I select "Copy checked to new disk" in the ExPVR tools menu, nothing shows up in the Select Destination window that pops up. I originally formatted it as ExFAT and have since tried a quick format as NTFS, but it doesn't show up as either format. Does the format matter? I can't find anything in the help instructions about this.

Can anybody help with what I can do or what is wrong with this?

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:45 pm

The disk must contain no partitions at all and should not be formatted. ExPVR will create the partition layout and format it (sky use a custom file system format called XTVFS which only ExPVR can create). Please refer to the first post in this thread in order to delete the partition on the disk.

gilcutler

Postby gilcutler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:34 pm

OK. Thanks. Deleting the volume solved this problem. I now have another, but it belongs under a different post

shakoid

Postby shakoid » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:11 am

I am attempting to use a newly purchased WD20EURS 2TB HDD as a target drive but it does not show up in ExPVR. It does however show up in Windows 7 disk management as unallocated. When I check the log it reports Raw Disk Error getting drive details! I have enclosed the relevant log file for your reference. I am using a USB caddy. Any ideas of what the problem may be? Thanks.
Attachments
ExPVR-2013-11-08_11-52-47-PM.xml
Log entry
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 255 times

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:09 pm

The "Error getting drive details" is normal, this just means that ExPVR was not able to read some of your disks (these could be memory card readers without a card in, or a cd drive without a disk). ExPVR is detecting a hard disk with no partitions (\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6), so this should be showing up. Note that the disk will not show on the main screen, it will only show on the target disk selection screen (which appears when you choose Copy to New Disk or Format).

Northeasterly

Postby Northeasterly » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:17 pm

I also have a problem with my drive not showing.
I have been using a WD20EARX 2TB for the last couple of years in my Amstrad 780 box with no problems until recently.
It has now developed an intermittant fault where it won't record anything and deletes any queued recordings.

To save what I have on the drive (there's quite a lot) I tried to extract all the recordings using ExPVR but with no success, the drive doesn't appear.
Looking at the disk manager it seems my drive has a partition so this is the reason it doesn't show in ExPVR.

Am I stuck or is there any other way to retrieve the programmes from this drive?
If I delete the partition as suggested by the user manual I will lose everything, correct?

At the moment I have put the drive back in the Sky box and will work my way through viewing the saved programmes but there must be a way to transfer them to another drive.

Thanks.

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:19 pm

This thread is about disks not appearing as target (i.e. copy recordings to it), you want your disk to appear as a source drive (i.e. copy recordings off it). You should not delete the partition for this as that would delete all your recordings!

Could I see the log file generated when you tried to load the disk? The log files are available by clicking Tools -> Open log file directory in ExPVR.

willo77

Postby willo77 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:47 pm

hi, I've just got my usb to sata cable and once connected to my computer and started expvr the hdd is not showing up in my computer as a hdd but when I have been into disk management it shows up as disk 2 unknown and says its not initialized, if I try to initialize it, will it delete the contents of my planner of hdd? Or will it allow me to "see it" and then use expvr on it to start the transfer of my recordings?

Return to “Help & Support”