[Tool] Recording grouping fixer

Post here if you have any problems with ExPVR.
mrmt32
Site Admin

[Tool] Recording grouping fixer

Postby mrmt32 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:56 am

Version 3.8.14 of ExPVR had a bug which caused recordings copied to DRX890 and DRX895 devices to no longer be grouped into folders. This issue was due to an update to the firmware on these boxes by Sky and has now been fixed in V3.8.15.

For users who have already made an affected copy with ExPVR V3.8.14 I have created a tool which will re-add the groups to the planner.

Warnings
This tool will modify your Sky+ hard disk, and as such, there is a very small risk that something may go wrong resulting in the loss of recordings. In order to reduce this risk, the tool will make a backup of the non-video data on the disk as part of the process (which will allow recovery in all but the most severe circumstances). Even though the risk is very small (the operation of the tool is fairly simple), the tool should be used at your own risk.

Usage
1. Extract the attached zip file somewhere on your computer
2. Attach your Sky+ disk to your computer
3. Run ExPVR.GroupFixer.exe from the location you extracted the zip file
4. You will be prompted to choose your Sky+ hard disk from a list of attached drives using the number keys on your keyboard
5. Choose where to save the diagnostics / backup file
6. If you wish to continue with the fix process, press the y key on your keyboard when prompted
7. The database will then be updated, after the process finishes press any key to exit the tool
8. The disk can then be returned to your Sky+ box

Updates
V1.1:
Fixed an issue affecting on demand recordings (these had a slightly different naming format which was causing problems when generating the grouping hash).

Download
http://www.ph-mb.com/downloads/ExPVR/Ex ... r_V1.1.zip

wydmex

Re: [Tool] Recording grouping fixer

Postby wydmex » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:36 pm

mrmt32, I ran the group fixer tool and groups are back! Thanks! However I've still got an issue with an erroneous grouping as per http://forums.ph-mb.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=869#p1980 which I can't do anything with. When I try to select it I get get the message "There are no programmes in you Sky+ Planner".
I can probably delete it using the Sky+ Android app but last time I did that the erroneous grouping would merely jump to another entry and then that would become inaccessible via the planner. Any ideas? Thanks

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Great to hear the groups are now working, I had hoped that the erroneous group would have been fixed as well though. Could you send me the zip file that results from running the diagnostic tool on the drive (click the clipboard icon on the ExPVR toolbar)? This will contain some important parts of your disk and let me take a look at what else could be causing it.

wydmex

Postby wydmex » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:43 am

Uploaded to Dropbox diag.zip
After a further check I now seem to have three problematic/erroneous groups where when selecting them I'm told there's nothing in the planner, it was only one before running the tool.
Two groups of "Jake and the Neverland Pirates"
One group "History of the Eagles" which should be group (2 episodes from catch-up iPlayer)

Cheers

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:02 pm

The thing in common with these recordings is that they are all 'pull' on demand content (i.e. downloaded over the internet). Have all the recordings that had erroneous groups been on demand recordings?

wydmex

Postby wydmex » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Thinking about it, yes, probably so... Trying to remember what the movie was that I first saw the first erroneous group against (before I deleted it from the Sky+ app and the erroneous group 'jumped' to another entry) However I don't think that matters as most movies I watch On Demand so the likelihood is high these have always been On Demand entries causing issues. Is my problem curable doc? ;)

wydmex

Postby wydmex » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:13 pm

mrmt32, Appreciate you'll have other commitments but what's the likelihood I'll be able to put the lid back on my Sky box and leave it that way for a while? ;-)
Thanks.

Raistlin

Postby Raistlin » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Just wanted to say that I upgraded the disk in my DRX890 today, using the latest version of ExPVR available for download, and my recordings aren't grouped at all.

The shows in question were all regular recordings (OK, some may have been HD, but you know what I mean).

TBH it doesn't bug me that much - we'll watch them and delete them, just thought I'd post here in case it's indicative of an issue you're not aware of :)

mrmt32
Site Admin

Postby mrmt32 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Sorry for the delay, I had to go away for a few days again.

wydmex, I have identified what was causing the issue with the on demand recordings. The event name (name of the recording) was being stored with some extra details for these recordings. The new grouping system involves creating a hash from the event name and channel, and this extra data was causing it to be generated incorrectly. I have updated the group fixer so that it will now generate the correct hash (and fix the issues with the on demand recordings).

Raistlin, a part of the new code which fixes the grouping in ExPVR V3.8.15 was not getting triggered if the copy was from a new format planner (i.e. it was a copy from a DRX890/5 box). I am about to release a new version of ExPVR which will fix this. The group fixer does not have this problem (it will fix the groups for any database version), so running this against your disk will solve it.

wydmex

Postby wydmex » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:17 pm

mrmt32,
That's ok. Appreciate this probably isn't your day job. ;)
I've now run the new version of the tool and it's corrected the issue with the grouping of on demand recordings.
However, now all regularly upcoming recordings with series links are grouped with their respective recordings. Correct me if I'm wrong but upcoming recordings normally sit outside of their respective group until they have taken place, is that not right?

Happy to live with this as long as it sorts itself on the subsequent round of recordings after this upcoming round, as long as doing so doesn't cause further corruption.

Please advise

Cheers.

Return to “Help & Support”